Saturday, April 9, 2016

Called to Serve- but not exactly gifted. (PART 1)

Oh yes. I have experienced the "Oh my". The "you've got to be joking". The "are you sure God?". And the "Oh God help me" that comes with being called to serve in ways & places that are most definitely not your expertise or gift. Within the last 4 years God has clearly called me to both foreign missions ministry & hospitality. Hospitable is not a word people would use to describe me- in all honesty. And missions ministry? Let's not even go there. AHA! 

As someone with a stronger personality (INTJ) & one who is not gifted in these areas, I have found this journey quite a challenge as well as a complete thrill. The Father is so faithful. Maybe you are also experiencing that "are you sure God?" season. Here are a few things I have learned thus far. 


1. When we "lack", we rely on God. 

The Israelites knew this all too well. In the wilderness they were more eager to seek God. In captivity they were more aware of their need to lean on God. In comfort & prosperity-- not so much. When we don't have what it takes, we go to the One who does. I have mentioned this before in a previous post, but I believe it is so important to understand- God will never call you to do anything or go anywhere that leaves you anything less than desperate for Him. If you find yourself desperate for Him & His strength, abilities, wisdom, etc you are in the safest place to be. The core of God's heart is to be close to His creation. Whatever stands in the way, whatever is a distraction, whatever shifts our dependence, focus, loyalty, hearts, etc needs to be taken out of the way. If your gifts are not adding up, rejoice all the more. When you lack, thank the Lord! Look to Him!

  • Deuteronomy 8 & 9.
  • "Go & cry in the ears of Jerusalem, saying, Thus saith the LORD; I remember thee, the kindness of thy youth, the love of thine espousals, when thou wentest after me in the wilderness, in a land that was not sown." Jeremiah 2:2

2. It's not all about our gifts. 

Yes. Gifts ARE important. They must be used (& they will be), but they are not everything. Our gifts can even get in the way if we are not careful. We can center our identity, security, reputation, etc on that gift & suddenly our egos get in the way & may even blind us from areas that need growth. It's not about comparing our gifts to another's lack. It's not about showcasing our gifts. It's not about finding confidence in our gifts. It's about finding confidence in the giver of those gifts & using them for His glory alone.

"Wherefore let him that thinketh he standeth take heed lest he fall." 1 Corinthians 10:12

2. God teaches his servants.

This is specifically for us younger ones. Recently called? Newly involved in the ministry? Take heart. The disciples didn't just "get it" as soon as they were invited to come & follow Christ. Christ taught them. Disciples are students before teachers. The disciples were constantly going to Christ for instruction. They were eager to learn. Eager to discover. Eager to serve. This takes time. Thinking & walking like Christ does NOT happen overnight. Sanctification is a process. Let yourself learn. Let yourself grow. And be eager to serve in the midst of it, even in your lack. It is very possible that God will develop that lack into a gift. Ask anyone who has been serving for 20 plus years & you will find they too are still learning. They too lack. They too rely on God. Christ continually directed the disciples ears, eyes, & affections towards the Father. The spirit of God is the source for all fruitful service.

Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus." Philippians 2:5

3. The heart is everything. 

This could stand on its own as a separate post. Perspective, attitude, & motives matter. If we have all of the gifts, but we don't use them from a heart of love & service- What's the point? In the eyes of the world we may be climbing the latter of success, but in God's eyes we are falling to destruction. Do I like people in my space often? No. Am I a social butterfly? No. Do I want to leave the comforts of America? No. The list could go on. But something extraordinary happens when the heart of man is aligned with the heart of God. Our perspectives shift. Our priorities change. Our desires become His. & oh my goodness what intimacy & unity you will experience in his presence when this takes place! When you become a true disciple- you need to take a back seat. It's not about "me time" or the comforts of my country. It's about HIS kingdom. HIS fame. HIS glory. HIS plan. HIS desires. HIS heart. You will take joy in what you once loathed. You will pursue what you once ran from. You will see what you were once blind to. You will seek that which you once feared. You will take delight in what once drained you. It is not important that people see our hearts. It is important that people see HIS. Humility & willingness are so key in this thing. When we realize that we are nothing without him- then, we become mighty vessels used for his glory. I have strengths for sure, but more so I need God to shine through my weaknesses. That is when people see Him & He is all that needs to be seen. That is when His word truly comes alive. When we humbly sit before the feet of Christ with willing hearts- every gift we lack will no more factor in & no passion or ambition we clung to prior can compare to the zeal that will be poured upon us as He shares the desires of His heart with us. 

"Set your affections on things above, not on things on the earth." Colossians 3:2 

"The heart is deceitful above all things, & desperately wicked: who can know it? I the LORD search the heart, I try the reins, even to give every man according to his ways, & according to the fruit of his doings." Jeremiah 17:9-10



2 comments:

  1. Thank you very much for this Hannah.
    It's very helpful.

    I've been there and sometimes, I still doubt if that's really God's purpose for my life.
    I remember actually going to speak to my Pastor about it sometime ago. I believe that I'm called to serve youths, however I find that I'm not able to get along with them easily. Especially when I compare myself to some of my friends, teenagers and young people just seem to warm up to them.

    Thanks once again for this.
    Looking forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad this was helpful to you. Youth ministry is not easy but it is definitely vital. God doesn't call the equipped. God equips the called. He will strengthen, guide, & teach you. Stay encouraged in Him!

      Delete